Veii (pron. WAY-ee or VAY-ee; also Veius (Italian Veio)) was, in ancient times, an important Etrurian city 16 km NNW of Rome, Italy; its site lies in the modern comune of Formello, in the Province of Rome.

Veii was the richest city of the Etruscan League, on the southern border of Etruria. As the nearest Etruscan city to Rome, it was continually at war with Rome for nearly 400 years. It eventually fell to the Roman general Camillus's army in 396 BC. Veii continued to be occupied after its capture by the Romans; Livia had an estate there, according to Suetonius. It was famous for its statuary including a statue of Tiberius (now in the Vatican), and the Apollo of Veii (now in the National Etruscan Museum).

The site was abandoned after ancient times, and it became forgotten until its rediscovery in the 17th century by the antiquarian Raffaello Fabretti. The remains of Veii today lie near the small village of Isola Farnese, but tombs and other remains have been discovered recently in adjacent areas in Formello and the Veio Natural reserve park.

Outside the remains of the city there are remnants of an apparent temple. Also tumuli and tombs have been found cut into the rock. The most famous is the Grotta Campana, uncovered in 1843, a chamber tomb with the oldest known Etruscan frescoes. There are additionally long tunnels leading into the mound of the city, which may corroborate Livy's account of the Roman victory in the Battle of Veii.

(c)2019 Olgiata Casa | powered by re.crm